First you forget names.
Then you forget faces.
Then you forget to pull up your zipper.

It's worse when you forget to pull it down!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Our Temple

Arizona Mesa Temple
Just returned from a day at the temple. Acutally, it was about 2 hours at the temple and 5 hours travel time. It is 165 miles from my house to the temple. Nine sisters from our Relief Society went and I drove with 4 as passengers. I chose to do initiatory work - 15 names - as I had not done it in some time. What a blessing! Rod and I will be going there this Friday for a temple date. We hope to get 2 sessions in to make use of the travel time and (gulp!!) gas involved. When the newly announced temple in the Gila Valley is finished, it will only be a 3 hour round trip.
The Mesa temple was dedicated in 1927 and in 1945 was the first temple to have sessions in a foreign language. Can you guess which language? You can read a wonderful article about it in the September 1972 Ensign titled "Northward to Mesa". I remember as a sophomore in high school we had a seminary money-earning project before Christmas where the proceeds would be given to the saints in Mexico so they could attend the Mesa Temple. Incorporating the parable of the talents, every student was given 50 cents (their "talents") to begin with. My mother had taught me how to make birds out of ribbon that could be used on gifts instead of bows and on Christmas trees as decorations. With my "talents" I purchased the first rolls of ribbon and, with the help of my mom, I was able to increase my talents 400 fold to $200. We probably made over 1,500 birds, weaving them by hand. I still make the birds and put them on gifts. The blessings of the temple are priceless!!

1 comment:

Chad and Kristen said...

Beautiful!!! We really do need to take advantage of the many, many temples that are within near walking distance.