First you forget names.
Then you forget faces.
Then you forget to pull up your zipper.

It's worse when you forget to pull it down!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

So much for the motorcycle

This is going to be short because it's late and I need to get to bed.
Yesterday (Tuesday) morning at 6:00 AM Rod was driving his new motorcycle to work on the freeway when a deer darted in front of him -- yes, we have lots of deer in our area. Two hours later I get a call at work from a number I do not recognize so I ignore it. Five minutes later the same number calls and I figure I had better answer. Good thing because it's my dear husband telling me he is in the emergency room at University (of Arizona) Medical Center in Tucson, the result of the deer encounter.
To be brief, his new helmet saved his head from any injury but the rest of his body didn't fair as well. In spite of wearing leather gloves and a fairly heavy coat, he has bad road rash on the top of both hands and up his right arm, both knees, this right shoulder and a few other places. He also has 5 broken back ribs and a broken right scapula (shoulder blade). So far the ribs are not hindering his breathing any but the shoulder is keeping him from being able to raise or use his right arm. They are keeping him in the hospital mainly for observation to keep pnemonia from developing. I will be at the hospital today, too, and will update on this site as more information is given.
All of our Tucson children and their spouses came to see him while he was still in the ER. Riley was working in Tucson so got off early and came to see him this afternoon. Billy and a ward member who happened to be at the hospital gave him a blessing. The main thing Rod has been saying about this accident, which happened just after a hill and curve in the road, is he is grateful, thankful, and blessed, that he was not run over by traffic -- semis -- coming up behind him or he would have been killed. He had to get up and stumble off the freeway. It also took a good 5 minutes or more before anyone stopped to help him and call for help - his cell phone is lost among the weeds. Please remember him in your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Chad and Kristen said...

How scary!! So happy to hear he is doing well...considering. I hope he is able to come home soon. And I am sure once broken bones are healed he will be on an unofficial hunt for the deer!! We will definitely keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. We will be watching for updates!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so glad it wasn't worse though. Will definitely be keeping you and Rod in our prayers.